Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Another Field Experience

February 10, 2009 7:30-8:00 & 10:00-12:30
Total time: 17 hours

My class is currently taking timed test on 100 subtraction problems in 5 minutes. Their best grade for the nine weeks is used. Therefore, today I changed the setting on FastMath to subtraction 0-12. My intentions are to bring their scores up tremendously. This year my class seems to struggle with subtraction. Two students were able to use it during homeroom and two more during math class. At reading time, I used my overhead to assess students on the oo, ew, and ui sounds by having them read sentences aloud. We also circled the words with these sounds. In centers, my students used www.unitedstreaming.com to listen to stories. This will model how to be a fluent reader.

Now that my students are completing subtraction facts instead of addition, the data changed. Seven students are slow, 9 are at medium speed, and 2 are fast.

No comments: